October is just around the corner, which means the MSU Benefits Open Enrollment period (October 1-31, 2021) is about to begin for benefits-eligible employees. Please use the following checklist to help guide you through Open Enrollment and be sure to make your benefit selections for the 2022 plan year between October 1-31, 2021.
1. Determine your benefit needs
During Open Enrollment, you may enroll in, change or cancel coverage in the following benefits:
- Flexible spending accounts (health and/or dependent care)
- Life or accidental death and dismemberment Insurance
- Some voluntary benefits, including vision, legal and critical illness insurance
Make sure you review the Open Enrollment guide carefully and choose the best benefit plans for your family. Find Open Enrollment guides on the HR website.
2. Complete the spouse/other eligible individual (OEI) affidavit
If you want to cover a spouse/OEI on your benefits plan, you MUST complete the affidavit online through the EBS Portal every year. Find instructions for completing the affidavit as part of Open Enrollment here.
3. Review the changes for next year’s plans
Changes for the 2022 plan year include:
- Increase to Maximum Benefit for Accidental Death and Dismemberment (AD&D) Insurance: You can enroll in AD&D coverage at 1 to 10 times your annual salary, up to a maximum of $1,500,000 for the employee (increased from 1,000,000), $750,000 for a spouse/OEI (increased from 600,000), or $100,000 per child (no change). Additionally, various benefit enhancements are included for the 2022 plan year. Learn more about AD&D insurance in the open enrollment guides on the HR website.
- Upgrades to Critical Illness Insurance Coverage Effective January 1, 2022: The upgraded plan offers more benefits with coverage for different, distinct medical conditions. Contact MSU Benefits Plus at 888-758-7575 or visit MSUBenefitsPlus.com for details. If employees are currently enrolled and do not change their coverage election during open enrollment, their plan will be upgraded automatically as of January 1, 2022.
4. Make your changes online before October 31
If you want to make changes to your benefits selections and/or cover a spouse/OEI on your benefits plans, you must participate in Open Enrollment from October 1-31, 2021. Find enrollment instructions here.
5. Ask questions at the MSU Benefits Fair or HR site labs
Please Note: events are subject to change at any time due to the pandemic. Please review the most updated details on the HR website.
- MSU Benefits Fair: We will be having a virtual fair throughout the entire month of October, with live chat sessions on Tuesday, October 12 from Noon to 7 p.m. and Thursday, October 14 from 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. During these live chat sessions, you can ask questions and receive enrollment assistance from MSU HR staff and MSU benefit vendors. A link to the virtual fair platform will be available on the Benefits Fair webpage on October 1.
- HR Site Labs: MSU HR will offer site labs on October 5, 19, 26, and 29. Learn how to participate in a site lab on the HR website.
We hope this checklist is helpful as you prepare for and participate in Open Enrollment this year. You can find all the details about Open Enrollment on the HR website, including links to the appropriate benefits guide, enrollment instructions, and detailed benefits information.
Questions? We’re happy to help! We encourage you to get in touch via phone or email. Limited in-person help will be available by appointment only. Please call or email the HR Solutions Center at 517-353-4434 or SolutionsCenter@hr.msu.edu to make an appointment or ask a question.