Whether new to a supervisory role or a long-time manager, the best leaders are lifelong learners adaptable to change and flexible in their leadership style. The rapid changes and unknowns of the past couple years have made it particularly clear that supervisors must embrace the complexity of their roles, which demands new ideas and strategies to stay fresh and ahead of the curve. HR’s Organization and Professional Development (OPD) department has resources to help.
NEW LEADER DEVELOPMENT SERIES (NLDS)
Designed for supervisors new to their roles or new to MSU, this nine-session series equips new leaders with a toolkit of crucial knowledge and resources. Registration is available in EBS for the next NLDS cohort, beginning August 30, 2022.
Sessions cover a variety of topics, including:
- Leading in a Union Environment
- Workforce Management and Strategic Staffing
- Fostering an Inclusive Culture
- Budget Responsibilities and Ethical Finance
- Conflict Management
- and more
Looking to learn or strengthen specific leadership skills? OPD has both in-person classes and virtual courses to provide expanded options and best meet your learning needs and preferences.*
- Building Cohesive Teams | August 9 (virtual) or October 12 (in person)*
- Conflict Management and Non-Escalation | September 14 & 15 (virtual) or December 6 & 7 (in person)*
- Crucial Conversations for Accountability (formerly titled Crucial Accountability) | November 2 & 3 (in person)*
- Managing and Leading Across Locations | August 23 (virtual) or December 13 (in person)*
- Performance Management for Hybrid Teams | September 14 (virtual) or December 6 (in person)*
- Strategic Planning | August 31 or November 15 (virtual)
- Additional courses coming soon, including Strengths Based Leadership
View all upcoming OPD course offerings.
SELF-DIRECTED LEADERSHIP RESOURCES
On-demand, self-paced courses, videos, audiobooks and more are available to MSU employees via the free elevateU platform, including a Leadership Development section covering a wide range of leadership topics.
Access elevateU leadership resources.
Created by a cross-departmental workgroup to assist leaders in navigating challenges and handling their responsibilities with confidence, the online Leadership Library highlights curated content related to timely topics.
Visit the online Leadership Library.
Have questions regarding the above resources and opportunities? Contact OPD at firstname.lastname@example.org for additional information.
*MSU HR Organization and Professional Development follows all applicable state and public health guidance and university-wide directives. If deemed necessary or advisable to refrain from in-person learning, courses scheduled as in-person will instead be hosted in a virtual format.