Do you have a Performance Excellence annual review and/or planning meeting coming up soon? Performance Excellence is a collaborative process between MSU support staff and their supervisors that ensures employees are continually developing their skills to contribute to the success of the university. Employees should be meeting regularly with their supervisors to discuss their Performance Excellence development plan and goals for the year. This encourages everyone to stay engaged and allows goals to be adjusted if needed. Whether you are an employee or supervisor, we have resources to help you get the most out of the Performance Excellence process.
Conducting Annual Performance Reviews During Remote Work
Many MSU employees are working remotely during this unprecedented public health situation and the following guidance should help supervisors continue to conduct annual performance reviews. If you are unsure whether you should be conducting annual performance reviews, please contact your HR representative.
Virtual Annual Performance Review Guidance
Steps to Complete the Review
- Follow the usual steps to prepare for the Annual Performance Review discussion and the Performance Planning for the next performance cycle. Find tips to prepare here.
- Follow your unit’s defined process for performance reviews. Complete all internal unit requirements and procedures as directed.
- Provide a copy of the completed review form to the employee prior to the meeting. We recommend sharing the form with the employee in advance of the meeting by email, so they have time to prepare for and fully engage in the discussion. At a minimum, share your screen during the virtual meeting so your employee can see the completed review form.
- Hold the Annual Review meeting using remote collaboration tools. Find tips to prepare here and tips to conduct the meeting while working remotely below:
- Conduct the review using video chat options to allow for a more personal connection with your employee. MSU has great collaboration tools available.
- Complete the Performance Planning Form for the following performance cycle. Find tips to prepare here.
- Schedule regularly occurring times for ongoing coaching and feedback throughout the next performance cycle.
Find Tips and Tools on the HR Website
Find additional tips and resources for conducting and completing the Annual Performance Review during this period of remote work on the HR website. There is a wealth of information available about Performance Excellence on the HR website including:
- Detailed info about the process
- Required training
- Learning opportunities to help meet performance goals
- Related forms
- Tips and tools for success
Visit the Performance Excellence webpage and then select whether you’re looking for resources for employees or supervisors.
Questions? Contact the HR Solutions Center at SolutionsCenter@hr.msu.edu or 517-353-4434.