Whether you’re planning a road trip, family picnic, or trip to the lake, there is so much to do in Michigan during the summer months. And while these types of events can provide a ton of fun for your family, there are ways to make Summer safer, too.
Tips for a Healthy Summer
Here are some tips to help keep you safe, stay informed and keep the fun times rolling:
- Sun Protection: Utilize shade when you can, wear a hat, and don’t forget about the sunscreen (at least SPF 15 is recommended for sun protection).
- Stay Hydrated: Beat the summer heat and drink a lot of water.
- Insect Protection: The best way to prevent mosquito bites and ticks is to wear insect repellent and to wear long sleeves or pants. Make sure to check your clothing, body and pets when you go inside!
- Keep Cool: Take breaks from being in direct sunlight and utilize fans or air conditioning when needed. Take note of weather forecasts and plan events accordingly.
In addition to these tips, if you participate in a flexible spending account (FSA) you can use your funds to help pay for common summer necessities and/or camps for your kids.
Tips for Health Care FSA Funds
Save an average of 30% by using your Health Care FSA funds on the following eligible expenses that double as travel necessities:
- Allergy medications
- Blister care kits
- Bug bite treatments
- Sun reader eyeglasses
- SPF lip balm
- Travel first-aid kits
- Traveling neck pillows
- UV detection stickers
- And more!
Worried about buying something that isn’t considered an eligible expense? Consider shopping at the online FSA Store for worry-free purchases since everything on the FSA Store website is a guaranteed eligible expense. Be sure to check out their monthly coupons and promo codes for additional savings.
If you don’t have an FSA and are wondering if you should participate in one, learn more about the two types of FSAs available to benefit-eligible MSU employees on the HR website and consider enrolling in one or both types during the benefits Open Enrollment period in October this year.
Are you looking for more ways to save money this holiday season? If you have a health care FSA for the 2021 plan year with funds still available, you can save an average of 30% by using pre-tax dollars on eligible expenses. While you still have some time to use 2021 FSA funds in the new year, it’s a good idea to think about your expenses now so you can maximize how you’ll spend any remaining balance.
Consider the following ways your FSA could benefit you and your family this holiday season. Whether you’d like to reduce holiday stress or prepare for New Year’s resolutions, your health care FSA can help. All items listed below are from the FSA Store, which means you can shop worry-free knowing everything is automatically an eligible expense.
- Reduce Stress, Improve Health and Wellness: Many people experience a significant amount of stress during the winter months trying to juggle work, family and holiday plans. This Home Health and Wellness top ten list offers products to help during the workday, such as blue light glasses, tension headache relief or heating pads and neck wraps. Other helpful items include this acupressure mat, a hot/cold therapy relaxation mask, and lavender-scented comfort wrap.
- Enjoy Your Holiday Travel Plans: If you’re visiting friends and family, don’t let an accident or unexpected issue ruin the trip. The FSA Store has first-aid kits, sunscreen, traveling neck pillows, bug bite treatments, blister care kits, allergy medications and more to keep you in top shape.
- Bounce Back this Virus Season: While we’re all aware of the COVID-19 virus, flu/cold season is here as well. Prepare for viruses so you and your family can bounce back quickly. Find personal protective equipment, as well as virus preparedness products such as thermometers, at-home COVID-19 tests, and over-the-counter medicines.
- Prepare for New Year’s Resolutions: Are you setting a goal to exercise more in the new year? Stay on track with these helpful items: muscle and joint pain relief devices, Epsom salts, and braces/supports.
Before you place an order, be sure to check out the FSA Store’s monthly coupons and promo codes for additional savings. If you have any questions about your FSA, please contact MSU’s benefit provider HealthEquity/Wageworks directly at 877-924-3967. You can learn more about FSAs on the HR website.