September 15 is National Online Learning Day! Online learning provides convenience, flexibility, and personalization for all learners. Did you know MSU offers FREE online learning opportunities for all faculty and staff? Get access to online resources including books, videos, courses, and more via elevateU. During these times when more MSU employees are working remotely, access to these resources is more valuable than ever.
Access elevateU here or log into EBS and look for the “elevateU” tile under the “My Career & Training” tab. You can access elevateU from your computer or through the Skillsoft Learning App for Android and iOS devices.
There are programs that cover leadership, IT & desktop, business, finance, human resources, change management, project management, interpersonal skills and so much more. Resources are available in a variety of formats:
- Video-based and interactive courses
- Resources to prepare for various professional certifications
Watch the following video for a general overview of the resources available to you and how to access them:
Need help navigating elevateU? Click here for an additional video on how to use the search function and navigate through the resources available.
Utilize the resources as reference tools to help answer your day-to-day job questions or as part of your ongoing personal and professional development. Many of the courses are even approved for Continuing Education credits! Remember, all courses are available to current staff and faculty at no charge.
Happy National Online Learning Day!
Looking for ways to grow and develop your team while helping everyone stay connected during this time? elevateU has online options available for both individual and team development, including Team Talks, Monthly Featured Topics and Desktop/Productivity Tools. Learn more about how these resources can help you and your team:
Team Talks offer a series of guides and highlighted short videos designed to help drive self-reflection and discussion. Each Team Talk guide has three sections to encourage self-reflection, discussion points for a team, and some suggestions for how to implement ideas to action individually and as a team.
Access Team Talks directly here.
- Once at the Team Talks section, choose a topic
from the categories on the left. Go to the Custom tab to find the related guide.
Review the the guide and the highlighted video linked to on the left side of
- Individual Activity: view the brief video
and consider the Self-Reflection questions included in the Team Talk guide.
- Team Activity: watch the video before a
meeting and/or as a team during a virtual meeting and use the Team Talk
questions as a guide for discussion. The Ideas for Action section provides some
considerations for putting ideas into actionable behaviors, for both
individuals and entire teams. Assign topics to team members to lead the
discussion to further enhance collaboration. Revisit the topic in the next team
meeting by asking how employees were able to apply what they learned.
Monthly Featured Topics
Monthly Featured Topics are a curated list of resources – such as short videos, courses, book summaries, and more – around a specific skill or topic. New topics are rolled out the first week of each month and the previous month’s topics are also available. April’s topic is Time Management – be sure to check out these timely resources.
Access Monthly Featured Topics directly here.
- We recommend a 30-minute online course “The Art of Staying Focused,” which covers relevant segments such as “Blocking Out Distractions” and “Adjusting Your Focus When Circumstances Change.”
- Also consider one of the highlighted book summaries, “The Inefficiency Assassin: Time Management Tactics for Working Smarter, Not Longer,” which provides a brief overview. The whole book is available in elevateU for free as well.
- Team Activity: have team members view the resources and prepare to engage in a discussion as a team around the subject—interesting thoughts and ideas, ways to apply the concepts, etc. Further enhance collaboration by assigning a monthly topic to one or more team members to research, discuss and share with the rest of the team during a regularly scheduled team meeting.
Desktop and Productivity Tools
The Desktop and Productivity Tools section highlights a few options from the vast library of other desktop, IT, and productivity-related assets and are geared to a variety of skill levels. Content is organized by a specific tool (e.g., Teams Office 365, Excel, Word, OneNote).
Access Desktop and Productivity Tools directly here.
- Individual Activity: Have you always
wanted to learn how to utilize OneNote better or how to create masterful charts
in Excel? Now is the time to tackle those topics individually, especially for any
items included in your annual performance goals.
- Team Activity: Consider assigning one or
more team members to learn more about a specific tool and do a “teach-back” for
the rest of the team. Are there particular tools that could benefit your team
now or help prepare the team for an upcoming project? This strategy creates an
excellent framework for collaboration and connection outside the regular
virtual team setting, boosts communication and presentation skills, and also
creates a network of “experts” on your team for specific tools.
Have questions or want to discuss additional options? Contact Organization and Professional Development at email@example.com.