October is just around the corner, which means the MSU Benefits Open Enrollment period (October 1-31) is about to begin for benefits-eligible employees. Please use the following checklist to help guide you through Open Enrollment and be sure to make your benefit selections for the 2023 plan year between October 1-31, 2022.
1. Determine your benefit needs
During Open Enrollment (October 1-31), you may enroll in, change or cancel coverage in the following benefits:
- Flexible spending accounts (health and/or dependent care)
- Life or accidental death and dismemberment insurance
- Some voluntary benefits, including vision, legal and critical illness insurance
Make sure you review the Open Enrollment guide carefully and choose the best benefit plans for your family.
2. Complete the spouse/other eligible individual (OEI) affidavit
If you want to cover a spouse/OEI on your benefits plan, you MUST complete the affidavit online through the EBS Portal every year. Find instructions to complete the affidavit as part of Open Enrollment.
3. Review notable information for the 2023 plan year
Notable information for the 2023 plan year includes:
- Monthly premiums for voluntary legal insurance through ARAG have increased for the 2023 plan year. Visit MSUBenefitsPlus.comto view updated rates. Find instructions to enroll, change or cancel coverage in the Open Enrollment guide.
- Many MSU employees are now working in a remote or hybrid situation. If this includes you, please review the important guidance on health care and dental plan options in the Open Enrollment guide (see page 5) prior to enrolling in a plan.
Find all notable information on page 5 of the Open Enrollment guide.
4. Make your changes online before October 31
If you want to make changes to your benefit selections and/or cover a spouse/OEI on your benefit plans, you must participate in Open Enrollment between October 1-31 (view enrollment instructions).
5. Participate in the MSU Benefits Fair and HR Site Labs or use the online benefit provider resources
Please Note: events are subject to change at any time. Please review the most updated details on the HR website prior to attending.
- MSU Benefits Fair: We will be having an in-person benefits fair on October 19 from Noon to 7:00 p.m. at the Breslin Student Events Center on campus. MSU benefit providers and MSU HR staff will be available to answer questions and/or help you enroll in your benefits on-site. The MSU Health Care Pharmacy will be offering flu shots during the fair by appointment only. The appointment calendar (managed by MSU Health Care Pharmacy) will close when all appointments are filled or 48 hours prior to the event. Learn more about the fair and how to make an appointment for the flu shot.
- HR Site Labs: MSU HR will offer site labs on October 6 (in-person and virtual) and October 31 (in-person). Consider attending if you have questions about your benefit options or need assistance with enrollment. Learn how to participate in a site lab on the HR website.
We hope this checklist is helpful as you prepare for and participate in Open Enrollment this year. You can find all the details about Open Enrollment on the HR website, including links to the appropriate benefits guide, enrollment instructions, and detailed benefits information.
Questions? We’re happy to help! We encourage you to get in touch via phone or email. Limited in-person help will be available by appointment only. Please call or email the HR Solutions Center at 517-353-4434 or SolutionsCenter@hr.msu.edu to make an appointment or ask a question.