With the cold temperatures and snow falling, have you made sure your family will be warm and safe this winter? Here are some basic steps you can take to get your home ready for the winter:
- Seal your windows to improve heating efficiency.
- Use layered curtains to keep your home insulated for moderate comfort.
- If you have a fireplace, hire a chimney sweep to make sure your fireplace is working properly. A chimney sweep can clear out soot, check for damages and change the chimney cap to prevent rain, snow, birds, squirrels and anything else from entering your home.
- A generator can be very helpful to have over the winter. Living in Michigan, we know snowstorms can sometimes knock the power out for long periods of time. Having a generator can keep you and your family warm during a storm.
- Clean and inspect your gutters – clogged gutters can cause water to back up and freeze once the temperature drops. Keep your gutters clear and make sure they’re properly connected to ensure the melting snow runs off your roof through downspouts.
- After a heavy snowfall, it can be tough to see your driveway, flowerbeds, or walkways. Try using fiberglass snow poles or driveway markers every several feet to line the edges of the areas. This will help provide a clear path whether you’re blowing or shoveling snow yourself.
- Insulate your attic or crawl space. This can save you money in the long run by keeping your home’s heat in the living space instead of in your attic. It will also help keep your attic cooler which can prevent damaging ice dams from forming on your roof.
Did you know MSU benefits-eligible employees have the option to enroll in voluntary home and auto insurance through MetLife or Liberty Mutual Insurance? As you’re getting your home winter ready, or considering those work commutes over our Michigan winter, you might want to consider re-looking at your home and auto insurance. Make sure your family has the coverage they need this winter season.
For more information on voluntary home and auto insurance through Liberty Mutual and MetLife, visit MSU Benefits Plus. You can get a free quote by contacting Liberty Mutual at 888-860-0316 or MetLife at 877-619-5604.